Dealing With Smoke Damage in Your Home
After a fire at your home, it is likely you will need professional help to restore your residence to its original condition. Soot and smoke damage can devastate your property. Smoke cleaning is not a do-it-yourself project that many individuals are successful with. Fire restoration specialists in Grosse Pointe, MI, can help remove that pervasive smoke odor and clean your carpets and upholstery, removing soot residue.
Fire Damage Restoration
Immediately after a fire, you should think about contacting a professional. Here are some steps to get you started on getting your home back to normal as quickly as possible.
• Contact a restoration company immediately, the sooner the better.
• Assess the extent of the damage to your property. Many times, the soot, water and smoke damage is more extensive than visually apparent.
• Prevent damage from getting worse by using tarps, plastic sheets, sealing services and industrial fans. You need to keep ash and soot contained and dry any areas suffering from water damage.
• Start the cleanup process. Professionals have the chemicals and equipment necessary to remove soot, ash, smoke and water. Smoke cleaning requires special equipment and devices.
• Repair and renovate any parts of your home that received extensive fire damage. You may need new walls or flooring or to rebuild entire rooms.
The longer you allow smoke and odors to linger, the deeper they soak into walls, furniture and carpets. It is important to ventilate your house as quickly as possible. Turn off your heating and air and replace the filters. Your HVAC system could make the problem worse by spreading smoke, soot and ashes throughout your home.
Some heavily damaged items may need to be disposed of. It is also vital that you throw away what was not sealed in airtight containers.
Don’t let a fire ruin your life. The devastation can be disheartening. Get to work quickly. The faster you start the smoke cleaning process, the less extensive the damage will ultimately be.