Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Do's and Don'ts
When water damage strikes your Detroit property, SERVPRO of Grosse Pointe is ready to help. Water damage can come to be for many different reasons, like weather, storms or even leaky appliances. While our largest tip from SERVPRO of Grosse Pointe when dealing with water damage is to first make sure everyone is safe, thinking about the restoration of your belongings and property is important as well! Tips for waiting while our professionals arrive are to remember that electrical hazards can be present and that objects that have experienced water damage will be much heavier.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (313) 882-5499
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.